Skip to main content

EQ Memories

In fact I had forgotten that it was today, and that it happened on a Monday, 17 years ago. I was reminded only by these three candles that I spotted this morning, while out enjoying a walk on the first, un-clouded, sunny morning in three days.



Many people had died on the lot where the candles were lit. Reading the simple sign made the hairs on my arms rise up in a wave until the nape of my neck.

I was standing on a street in QM outside a classmate's house when it struck. We had a clear view of the Baguio Hilltop Hotel collapsing from where we were.

I had to walk home, all the way across town, because no taxis or jeepneys were picking up passengers. Every one was just trying to reach their homes.

When I walked through Burnham Park, I saw some one's hand sticking out from under a fallen concrete welcome arch. I remember the hand was grey with the pallor of death. It was also bloated.

I decided to avoid Session Road, for fear that there would be crowds and more collapsed buildings. I took the long way around.

I tried counting how many collapsed buildings I was passing, but I lost count because I was distracted by my own fear, and by the panic of every one around me.

I broke down and cried when I got home, but every one in our household was alive and unharmed, thank goodness. My only real loss was my dog, which had run away in a panic. My Little Sister declared that she wasn't scared. She only pretended to be scared because every one else around her was scared.

We slept outside the first few nights. We spent the first few days trying to gather news about friends across the city, and trying to send news to relatives outside of the city, to let them know we were alive and well.

For weeks the city was blanketed with the smell of decomposing human bodies.

As soon as it was possible, a soup kitchen was started up in the Cafe by the Ruins. As one of the daily fixtures and gophers at the soup kitchen, I got sent to the Department of Social Welfare and Development once to ask if we could have some of their supply of tarpauline to hang over the serving table and to distribute to the hundreds of people that came for soup everyday. They refused. Maybe because I was just a little brat as far as they were concerned, or maybe because they had other plans for the meters and meters of tarp stacked up in their office. So I argued relentlessly with the DSWD official until she gave in grudgingly and not without a few insults traded between us. I thought my parents would be pleased that I got what I was sent for but later my tatay told me that people are like dogs: They prefer to be praised. Praise would have gotten me the tarp without a fight, and might've earned me a friend in the DSWD. I guess that was my first, real, unforgettable lesson in diplomacy.

For weeks people forgot their usual habits of daily selfishness. The whole city was populated by people struck into nice-ness by disaster, but that didn't last very long.

There was a spring in a lot in the center of our neighborhood. People from all over the barangay would walk to that spring with their baldes, jerry cans, and empty bottles to gather water for drinking, cooking, washing, bathing. That spring kept the whole neighborhood alive.

It's gone now. The Ayalas bought the property when the city was on the rise again. They poured cement over the spring and built high-rise condominiums. Sacrilege! What's more, they did this after promising the residents bordering the spring that they would build in such a way that the condominium could tap the spring, and the residents could still have access to it. The snakes! It was easier to just pour cement over it, claimed their engineer. Let's not forget, these are wealthy, educated people making these decisions. The same wealthy, educated people will be far beyond our reach if and when another earthquake comes along and brings these condominiums that sprouted all over the city to their knees. And then what? Perhaps we could at least expect them to be charitable, should we be so unfortunate as to be struck again.

Today I'm thinking we didn't learn anything from the earthquake. Wait, is it even Disaster Preparedness Month? BFF and the Nashman must run for office! Save our City! Heeheeheeehee. Sorry, I couldn't bear the solemnity any longer. Truth is, I loathed those days for forcing us to live so close to death, and I loved those days for giving us reasons to be grateful, for giving me a go at being useful, and for bringing out the best in many, many anonymous persons who did what they could so that others could survive and the city could get back on its feet again. Too bad we had to make a big shit-hole out of things. Just look at us now.

The city hall siren is ringing now. It's the time that the earthquake struck. Time to click 'publish post'.

Comments

Anonymous said…
www.geocities.com/lingayenbay/earthquake.html


not sure if youve seen this one......not trying to hijack the the blog :) johnb
The Nashman said…
Morbidly, I miss the camaraderie that happened when the whole purok was sleeping outside in makeshift tents.

The day after the earthquake, I actually took a walk in the city, dead bodies and all. I guess it was therapy. To this day, I don't suffer from nightmares at all which is quite impressive since I saw the Aurora Theatre actually collapse and people jumping off UB. I remember the body bags...etc...

Popular posts from this blog

Cordillera Folktales and Story-telling

It was cold and wet outside on the day of the launching of The Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang and other Cordillera Folktales . But inside Mt. Cloud Bookshop we were warmed by stories read and performed by the Aanak di Kabiligan community theater group. Storytelling on a stormy afternoon. Paco Paco. A Benguet story from the book, published by the Cordillera Green Network. Aanak di Kabiligan means children of the mountains. The theater group was born out of the Cordillera Green Network's eleven years of conducting workshops in which children transform their grandparents' stories into theater productions. Here they perform the title story of the Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang and Other Cordillera Folktales.

Lola of Maipon

It's all too easy to fall asleep under the blanket of everyday life and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. But once in a while, along comes a sparkling vision that jolts me out of my daily sleep and reminds me of the existence of convictions and worlds so different from my own. "Our beloved LOLA of Guinubatan, Maipon, Albay is the last true messenger of God. So, let us follow her holy teachings so that we will gain TRUE SALVATION without sufferings and without death." In another story I, the intrepid heroine, the adventurer seduced by mysteries, the pilgrim in search of truth, would follow them back to Guinubatan from Session Road, thirsting to see and hear their Lola for myself. However, it's all too easy -- much safer! -- to fall back asleep under the blanket of everyday life, and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. Then along comes 9 a.m., and really, it's time to down the dregs of coffee at the bott

The Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang

On June 30, 2013 at 2 PM, Mt. Cloud Bookshop will host the launching of the new children’s book, The Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang and Other Cordillera Folktales . The event is open to the public and will include story-telling and a performance for children by the Aanak di Kabiligan Community Theater Group. After eleven years of telling stories through the Community Theatre, the Cordillera Green Network (CGN) and its theater company, The Aanak di Kabiligan has published a compilation of Cordillera folklore. These stories were the inspiration behind  the CGN's successful environmental education campaign, dubbed as the "Eco-Theatre Caravan", a roving theater community of young Cordillerans, theatre artists and volunteers performing in different communities in the Philippines and prefectures in Japan advocating environmental causes through performance. The book is a collection of folktales from Kalinga, Benguet, Apayao and Mt. Province. These storie