Skip to main content

Patatas

In lieu of last Saturday's full moon, which was hidden by Mina's storm clouds, here is a wonderful pomme de terre written in Ilocano by Junley Lazaga, a member of Ubbog.


Patatas

Ket patatas nga naukisan iti bulan
daydi umuna nga lawas
ti Oktubre, sibubuo ket amarilyo;

Ken dagiti kudilna nga nagalip-sina
ket ti daga nga taltalunen
kadagiti bakrang ti bambantay;

Patatas ket iti bulan idi
diak makaturog rinabii,

Ukisna ket idi iti daga
di adda kadagita sadya;

Kas iti patatas iti bulan
tinaripatok ket inug-ugasak
sakbay isab-it iti langit ti arapaap;

Patatas ket met ita
nga tinubuan kadagiti mata
iti bulan nga puson iti pagbalinanna.



The Tagalog translation, by the poet:

Patatas

At patatas na nabalatan ang buwan
noong unang linggo
ng Oktubre, buo at dilaw;

At ang mga balat nitong nahiwa-hiwalay
ay ang lupang sinasaka
sa mga tagiliran ng mga bundok;

Patatas ang buwan noon
di ako makatulog gabi-gabi,

Balat nito noon ang lupa
noong nasa iyong tabi;

Gaya ng patatas ang buwan
inalagaan ko at aking hinuhugasan
bago isabit sa langit ang pangarap;
Patatas din ngayon
na tinubuan sa mga mata
ang buwan na magiging puso na.

-- JUNLEY L. LAZAGA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This will probably be the only Tagalog post on this blog ever

So this is what my writing looks like in Tagalog... A synopsis written with high school teachers in mind, translated from English by Karlo Altomonte, for a play directed by Karlo Altomonte, staged by Open Space Productions. A play by Paul Dumol featuring Ferdie Balanag, Jojo Lamaria, Mel Sabado, Roman OrdoƱa, Joenas Galinato, Syrel Amazona, Ana Degollacion, Eunice Caburao, Candice Degollacion, Wow Pidlaoan, Joel Genove, Shunjen, Jun Balitan, Rhoda FIangrayan, Jaja Lamaria, Charlene David, Hanna Camiring. The play premiers on August 23, at 6:30pm, in the Bulwagang Juan Luna, U.P. Baguio. ANG PAGLILITIS NI MANG SERAPIO Isang dula ni Paul Dumol Sino si Serapio? Bakit siya nililitis? Ano'ng paki-alam natin? Sa unang limang minuto pa lang ng paglilitis ay tatambad na sa atin ang krimen ni Mang Serapio. Ang pagkakasala niya ay pag-aaruga ng bata. Oo, ang pag-aaruga ng bata ay isang krimen. Unti-unting magkakaroon ng liwanag ang akusasyong ito sa pag-usad ng kwento. Si Serapio ay is...

Lola of Maipon

It's all too easy to fall asleep under the blanket of everyday life and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. But once in a while, along comes a sparkling vision that jolts me out of my daily sleep and reminds me of the existence of convictions and worlds so different from my own. "Our beloved LOLA of Guinubatan, Maipon, Albay is the last true messenger of God. So, let us follow her holy teachings so that we will gain TRUE SALVATION without sufferings and without death." In another story I, the intrepid heroine, the adventurer seduced by mysteries, the pilgrim in search of truth, would follow them back to Guinubatan from Session Road, thirsting to see and hear their Lola for myself. However, it's all too easy -- much safer! -- to fall back asleep under the blanket of everyday life, and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. Then along comes 9 a.m., and really, it's time to down the dregs of coffee at the bott...

Palengkera: my route

This is the path my footsteps trace almost automatically when I go to the market. I start at the foot of the hill where the flower stalls are lined up. I squeeze through jeeps and cars waiting bumper-to-bumper for the traffic to ease forward inch-by-inch. I stop for rosal, not in the flower stalls where wreaths are prepared for funerals and celebrations, but with the manangs who set up their flower stands on the road, just beside the exit of the Marbay parking building. Then I walk across from the rosal manangs to my meat suki, where I buy pork or beef. From there I go deeper into the meat section and take the slippery, perpetually wet steps down to the seafood and chicken section. Here I have a suki for chicken. But all she sells is magnolia chicken. Today I came across a woman who was selling freshly butchered and dressed broiler chickens. She caught my attention when she called out, “Bagong katay po ito. Hindi galing sa freezer!” Next time, I will buy my chicken from her. I don’t ha...