Skip to main content

My Breasts...

... are flat. They barely fill the bikinis I like to wear. And if you came to this post hoping to find something titillating, you are about to be disappointed further. Another fact about me and my breasts is that I try, as much as possible, to keep them free from bra-bondage. Given that there's nothing much there needing support, I don't really see the point.

I wonder about our skewed notions of immodesty. Is going au naturel beneath the shirt and not wearing a bra more immodest than faking larger breast size and forcing the cleavage issue with underwiring and padded bras? (Unfortunately, the only kind of bra you can find in this country that doesn't have painful underwiring or extra padding is the trainer or the sports bra. What does that tell you?) This question of im/modesty reminds me of the legendary Laurie Anderson's Smoke Rings, in which she asks, Que es mas macho? Pineapple o knife?... Que es mas macho? Lightbulb o schoolbus?... Que es mas macho? Iceberg or volcano? Anyway, you catch my drift.



I grew up in a home where tales of bra-burning were told around the dinner table. As a toddler I played at the feet of fierce women, imbibing the lessons they had learned about enjoying womanly freedom. Even though I could not yet fully understand their meaning, I could tell how important a story was by the way my mother's eyes shone, or the way my titas' sentences were punctuated with wild laughter

My great grandmother was a Filipina suffragist. I believe that to a certain extent the liberties I enjoy today are thanks to her. No matter that the kind of feminism she advocated stemmed directly from a Western conception of women's equality, I am proud of how she blazed a trail for Filipina women in more ways than just the campaign, and how she lived her life as a mother and a widow after World War II. The home of my childhood was built by her in 1963.

However, I never was and never will be comfortable in a terno and butterfly sleeves, so I'm not sure that my lola-sa-tuhod would approve of my rejection of the bra and many of the feminine conventions of her time. So I look, too, for audacious grandmothers and aunties, amongst the women of the Cordilleras who bared their breasts in protest against the military development complex. I had heard their stories before and I am eternally grateful to Melisa Casumbal-Salazar for bringing these stories back into my life through her ongoing research on corporeal protest, gender, the body, and concepts of the political in the Cordillera.

Theirs are stories of human barricades with mothers and grandmothers at the front line, baring their breasts and removing their tapis to protect their homeland, taunting engineers and militiamen representing mining companies and dams, saying, "Before you mine, mine me." Or, "See where you came from." This act is a shaming and a curse on the men for it brings ill consequences to the gazer. It is taboo for a man to gaze at a woman of his mother's age. Melisa met and interviewed these women and they repeatedly told her that "women can use their mouths as spears," and that all they could fight with was their bodies.

They said: "We are life. We give life."

To me, this too is the most important thing about my breasts -- not their size, nor what containers I choose to keep them in. I am proud that with them I have breastfed a wondergirl who is now fast becoming her own wonderwoman -- and what a beautiful person she is!

For the most part however, I don't give a boob about cup-size.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cordillera Folktales and Story-telling

It was cold and wet outside on the day of the launching of The Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang and other Cordillera Folktales . But inside Mt. Cloud Bookshop we were warmed by stories read and performed by the Aanak di Kabiligan community theater group. Storytelling on a stormy afternoon. Paco Paco. A Benguet story from the book, published by the Cordillera Green Network. Aanak di Kabiligan means children of the mountains. The theater group was born out of the Cordillera Green Network's eleven years of conducting workshops in which children transform their grandparents' stories into theater productions. Here they perform the title story of the Golden Arrow of Mt. Makilkilang and Other Cordillera Folktales.

Lola of Maipon

It's all too easy to fall asleep under the blanket of everyday life and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. But once in a while, along comes a sparkling vision that jolts me out of my daily sleep and reminds me of the existence of convictions and worlds so different from my own. "Our beloved LOLA of Guinubatan, Maipon, Albay is the last true messenger of God. So, let us follow her holy teachings so that we will gain TRUE SALVATION without sufferings and without death." In another story I, the intrepid heroine, the adventurer seduced by mysteries, the pilgrim in search of truth, would follow them back to Guinubatan from Session Road, thirsting to see and hear their Lola for myself. However, it's all too easy -- much safer! -- to fall back asleep under the blanket of everyday life, and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. Then along comes 9 a.m., and really, it's time to down the dregs of coffee at the bott

Ritual for all Occasions

Attended a talk delivered by Dr. Albert Bacdayan, UP Baguio. Feb. 20, 2013. "Ritual for All Occasions: The significance and persistence of the 'Senga' in Northern Sagada." The senga is a ritual in which at least one chicken and one pig -- sometimes more -- are sacrificed. The senga is usually performed for milestones such as the completion of a house, the opening of a new business, a wedding, a funeral, when someone is ill, when someone is leaving on a journey. He spoke of how Cordillerans have a ritual for almost every occasion or ailment. Indeed, the word he used was not ritual but "remedy."Dr. Bacdayan described this as a "healthy agnosticism."He mused that the abundance or such remedies and rituals is the reason there are rarely feelings of helplessness among Cordillerans. He described ritual as a bundle of activities that assures people and anchors identity. When one calls the old men and is the principal of a senga, you are perceived t