Skip to main content

Palengkera: Walking on eggshells

If the Baguio Public Market could be compared to a tray of eggs, it would be like this:


Many good eggs surrounding one, sad, burned egg. The other day I wrote about going to the market as though I were going to a funeral, but that's wrong. The market continues to thrive around the burned area.


The vendors on the edges of the ruins are already setting up their stalls and doing brisk business. The vendors on the inside still have a lot of work to do, but they are there, cleaning up and preparing to spread their wares. It's true they lost a lot but they are quickly picking up the pieces and they are determined to re-occupy their much-loved spaces.

After the fired consumed the GI sheets, wood, and wires, the old, pink, Baguio stone pillars have re-emerged.


They stand out and somehow look grand amidst the wreckage. This reminded me that the Baguio Public Market is a historical site for the City! (Yes, I had to be reminded. I think we all do!) I want the Baguio city officials to look up the word HERITAGE and understand why it's important to preserve the little vestiges of history and community we still have left.

A sms conversation between a friend in the market and myself.

Emi (not her real name): They tested the posts this am. We will know 2moro the result kung pwede pa or hindi na.

Me: Ok, please keep me POSTED! Sayang naman kung magigiba ang old baguio stone pillars! Sana kung d na sya stable ngayon i-restore nalang sya para i-recognize ang market as a Baguio heritage site. Diba?

Emi: Oo naman... Councilor Tabora wants 2 demolish them daw.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the photos!

Stone pillars are built precisely to survive fires so let's keep watch so they do not remove them to make way for Uniwide.

Popular posts from this blog

This will probably be the only Tagalog post on this blog ever

So this is what my writing looks like in Tagalog... A synopsis written with high school teachers in mind, translated from English by Karlo Altomonte, for a play directed by Karlo Altomonte, staged by Open Space Productions. A play by Paul Dumol featuring Ferdie Balanag, Jojo Lamaria, Mel Sabado, Roman OrdoƱa, Joenas Galinato, Syrel Amazona, Ana Degollacion, Eunice Caburao, Candice Degollacion, Wow Pidlaoan, Joel Genove, Shunjen, Jun Balitan, Rhoda FIangrayan, Jaja Lamaria, Charlene David, Hanna Camiring. The play premiers on August 23, at 6:30pm, in the Bulwagang Juan Luna, U.P. Baguio. ANG PAGLILITIS NI MANG SERAPIO Isang dula ni Paul Dumol Sino si Serapio? Bakit siya nililitis? Ano'ng paki-alam natin? Sa unang limang minuto pa lang ng paglilitis ay tatambad na sa atin ang krimen ni Mang Serapio. Ang pagkakasala niya ay pag-aaruga ng bata. Oo, ang pag-aaruga ng bata ay isang krimen. Unti-unting magkakaroon ng liwanag ang akusasyong ito sa pag-usad ng kwento. Si Serapio ay is...

Lola of Maipon

It's all too easy to fall asleep under the blanket of everyday life and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. But once in a while, along comes a sparkling vision that jolts me out of my daily sleep and reminds me of the existence of convictions and worlds so different from my own. "Our beloved LOLA of Guinubatan, Maipon, Albay is the last true messenger of God. So, let us follow her holy teachings so that we will gain TRUE SALVATION without sufferings and without death." In another story I, the intrepid heroine, the adventurer seduced by mysteries, the pilgrim in search of truth, would follow them back to Guinubatan from Session Road, thirsting to see and hear their Lola for myself. However, it's all too easy -- much safer! -- to fall back asleep under the blanket of everyday life, and to smother dreams with the mundane things I surround myself with. Then along comes 9 a.m., and really, it's time to down the dregs of coffee at the bott...

Palengkera: my route

This is the path my footsteps trace almost automatically when I go to the market. I start at the foot of the hill where the flower stalls are lined up. I squeeze through jeeps and cars waiting bumper-to-bumper for the traffic to ease forward inch-by-inch. I stop for rosal, not in the flower stalls where wreaths are prepared for funerals and celebrations, but with the manangs who set up their flower stands on the road, just beside the exit of the Marbay parking building. Then I walk across from the rosal manangs to my meat suki, where I buy pork or beef. From there I go deeper into the meat section and take the slippery, perpetually wet steps down to the seafood and chicken section. Here I have a suki for chicken. But all she sells is magnolia chicken. Today I came across a woman who was selling freshly butchered and dressed broiler chickens. She caught my attention when she called out, “Bagong katay po ito. Hindi galing sa freezer!” Next time, I will buy my chicken from her. I don’t ha...