Skip to main content

Change Christmas Consumerism!!!


Is a Christmas without presents and all the accompanying garbage so mind-boggling? The only thing I really wish I could buy for xmas is a ticket to a country where xmas isn't forced down every orifice of the human body.

There is something strangely liberating about this thought:


Consider the possibility.
These people did.
If a Buy Nothing Christmas is too much to ask,
how about a Zero-Waste Christmas then?

Comments

the mad hatter said…
hey padma-- it's great that you mention this on your blog-- I've read a couple of issues of Adbusters in my time-- and though I feel where they're coming from is a bit extreme for me personally (I like shopping a little too much, methinks) I admire what they're trying to do. In the US we have this thing called Black Friday (the day after thanksgiving) and it is also a day to not buy anything. Another alternative I'd like to put forward is buy a donation for a charity in your friends' and relatives' name. My personal favorite is kiva.org as well as the Global Fund for Women. Both requiring a relatively small amount of cash, and benefits people in 3rd World Nations like the Philippines. How's that for karma points?